Hate Crime Hotline: (905) 456 - 5905
Diversity Relations Unit
Race Against Racism
Saturday, June 4, 2016
A 5km road race / walk / stroller roll
For fun or competition - a great family event
View the community calendar for details
Click for Emergency Services Introduction to New Canadians
Photo Gallery: Race Against Racism 2015 will appear here on the public site.
The mandate of the Peel Regional Police Diversity Relations Unit is to work within the service and community to help eliminate barriers and dispel myths that may exist between the police and the various communities within its policing jurisdiction. The bureau conducts diversity awareness education sessions with all new personnel to help increase their level of effective service delivery. The bureau also provides training to all new personnel to ensure our service's anti-discrimination and harassment polices are both understood and followed.
Diversity Relations Unit is responsible the following:
- Develop and maintain polices related to diversity issues to enhance our police service's ability to better serve the community
- Monitor police occurrence reports to ensure officers comply with said policies
- Provide assistance/guidance with any diversity related investigations when required
- Develop, deliver and amend, when required, all in-service awareness education modules relating to diversity and/or hate crime issues
- Conflict mediation for inter-community and/or police-community concerns
- Extensive community outreach initiatives to ensure the needs of the various communities within our policing jurisdiction are identified and addressed
- Develop and maintain partnerships with all communities to ensure police-community interactions are non-offensive without compromising officer safety practices
- Develop and maintain partnerships with other service providers within our policing jurisdiction (i.e.: community-based ethno-specific agencies, school boards, media, government)
- Identify, develop and maintain a networking partnership with other diversity focused service providers to strengthen our policies and practices and to share or seek out "Best Practices"
The Peel Regional Police routinely reviews existing policies and practices to ensure we maintain a high level of service delivery. As an organization we are proud of our achievements in addressing the needs of our culturally diverse region and have been recognized for some of our initiatives.